Not all music players are perfect and capable of playing the format you need in good quality. In this article, we’ll guide you to the best music players for Mac that work with any audio formats such as MP3, FLAC, AC3, etc, and high-quality audio files. All of them are of high quality, have many great advantages, both paid and free solutions are presented. The choice is yours.
Top Music Players for Mac in 2022: Try the Best One
We promised to offer you the best solutions to listen to music on Mac. Therefore, we start our list with the best music player for Mac – Elmedia Player. Designed to deliver the highest standards for audio playback, this app is highly versatile and easy to use. It offers support for the most popular audio formats such as MP3, M4A, WMA, AC3, AAC, or WMA, to mention a few. And since we’ve mentioned high-quality audio files, Elmedia Player can easily play FLAC files as well, a feature that’s not supported by iTunes, for example.
The features include a 10-band audio equalizer so you can personalize the listening experience and make it perfect for your taste. You can either manually adjust the equalizer or choose one of the meticulously pre-defined presets. Elmedia Player also offers support hardware decoders like DTS for excellent surround sound on 5.1 or home cinema systems. Easily build playlists with your favorite tunes and enjoy the best audio playback on multiple Macs thanks to its audio receiver function.
- Wide range of supported formats
- Easily create playlists for smooth playback without interruptions
- User-friendly interface
- Audio equalizer with multiple presets and manual adjustments as well
- The more advanced features of Elmedia Player are only available in the PRO version and that’s not free
Supported Formats: MP3, FLAC, M4A, APE, OGG, AC3, M4A, AAC, WMA, WAV, and many more.
Another contender for the best audio player for Mac title is JustPlay. You’ll find that it’s also one of the best Mac video players. This lightweight app brings lots of functions and power for users that choose it. For example, it can play lots of audio formats without extra plugins or codecs. Furthermore, it gives you full control of audio playback through numerous settings like the standalone volume control, allowing you to adjust the volume without changing the overall Mac’s sound settings.
The built-in audio equalizer is perfect for you to fine-tune each of the ten bands and get the best audio experience possible. Use JustPlay with anything from a high-end home cinema system or professional headphones, and you will always get the best quality.
- A lightweight app that doesn’t need too many resources to run smoothly
- Full playback control
- Doubles as a video player as well
- Touch bar support
- The app is offered in only six languages besides English
Supported Formats: MP3, FLAC, M4A, OGG, APE, and many more.
This premium Mac audio player, as advertised on its official website, is our third selection in our journey to help you find the best Mac music player. It focuses on audio quality and offers integration with iTunes and SoundCloud as well. IT means you will be able to enjoy your personal music library and easily browse SoundCloud within the VOX interface.
On top of this, VOX gives you access to over 30,000 online radio stations carefully organized by genre, country, and more. Also, if you want to improve the sound quality of YouTube videos, you can stream them through VOX through a simple copy/paste.
- Built-in equalizer with 30 presets
- Queued tracks playback without any gaps
- Native audio engine for exceptional sound quality
- The iTunes and SoundCloud integration is only available in VOX Premium
- The online radio stations include ads in the free version
Supported Formats: FLAC, DSD, M4A, PCM, APE, MP3.
Even though 5KPlayer may sound more like a video software, it offers top-quality audio player for Mac functionality as well. The focus on HD extends to the audio part, and audiophiles will certainly appreciate the support for RStereo, Dolby, and DTS multi-channel playback. 5KPlayer also offers a built-in radio player that gives you access to satellite radio and the possibility to create playlists for the best audio experience possible. The user interface is neat and designed to make navigation smooth and natural.
- It doubles as a YouTube audio downloader
- Support for home theater systems
- Free to use
- A limited range of sound settings users have access to
Supported Formats: MP3, WMA, FLAC, AAC, AC3, OGG.
The following music app for Mac we’re analyzing today is IINA. It offers a minimalistic approach to how an audio player should look and function. Therefore the user interface feels natural and blends perfectly with the macOS overall design. Despite the minimalistic look, IINA offers support for touch bar controls, gesture controls, and even comes with a dark mode.
It’s an open-source music player, so you won’t have to pay to use it. However, it can play anything from local files and all the way to online streams or YouTube playlists. The browser integration is another feature that makes IINA stand out.
- Free to use since it’s an open-source app
- Great user interface with support for macOS gesture and touch bar controls
- Picture-in-picture mode
- The minimalistic approach may seem basic to advanced users
Supported Formats: M4A, MP3, AAC, M4A etc.
When thinking about music players for Mac there’s a good chance to dismiss VLC because of its predominant video player function. However, you’d be missing out on an excellent free music player for Mac. It handles audio playback with the same proficiency and meticulosity as the video function and supports lots of formats without the need for codecs or plugins. Furthermore, it’s available for macOS and iOS so you can add it on your iPhone or iPad as well to enjoy the same top-quality audio playback. The total absence of ads, spyware, or user tracking is another plus for VLC.
- Multiple customization possibilities
- Advanced audio settings and control
- Completely free
- Available for the most popular operating systems
- Outdated interface
Supported Formats: MP3, AAC, Vorbis, AC3, WMA, FLAC, ALAC etc.
Our journey to discover the best music apps for Mac takes us to Swinsian. It’s a robust player with plenty of functions and ways to customize your playback experience. You can choose from many ways to view and navigate your library thanks to the Art Grid and Column Browser. Besides the ability to rapidly view your music library, Swinsian is an excellent organizer as well. It comes with an advanced tagging system that allows you to categorize and manage all your favorite audio files rapidly. Furthermore, the app has a Duplicate Finder that’s excellent when you want to get rid of all the duplicate songs in your playlist.
- Support for importing iTunes libraries
- Can download album art
- Identifies duplicate tracks
- Offers advanced tagging
- Except for the basic playback functions, you need to upgrade to the paid version to unleash it’s full power
Supported Formats: FLAC, AAC, MP3, OGG, WMA, ALAC, WAV, AC3 etc.
We’re getting close to the end of our top 10 best music players for Mac list but that doesn’t mean the quality of the suggested apps decreases. Fidelia comes to strengthen this affirmation with a premium music player designed for sophisticated music lovers. This app gives its users the freedom to enjoy top-quality digital music at high fidelity and does a great job at organizing and customizing as well.
You can easily import the iTunes library with Fidelia and build new playlists containing your favorite songs. Also, the 64-bit audio unit supported by this software gives users access to AUGraphicEQ to fine-tune every sound. If you prefer to listen to your music on a different device, Fidelia supports AirPlay so you will be able to stream wirelessly.
- Premium user interface
- Available for iOS as well
- You can control Fidelia music player from a mobile device
- Only available for macOS 10.13 and later
Supported Formats: Apple Lossless, FLAC, MP3, WAV, AAC, Vorbis, CAF.
Colibri advertises itself as a native lossless Mac music player that delivers a bit-perfect playback without gaps or any inconsistencies. All that without needing lots of computer resources and taking care of your battery at the same time. Sounds too good to be true? Well, you better believe it because the developers made the app as close to native macOS software as possible. Not only that, but it handles cue sheets so you can easily add your music library and let the app do all the work for you. Gapless playback is ensured without utilizing extra RAM or CPU, while the advanced BS2B feature reduces the stereo fatigue.
- Plenty of features for a lightweight app
- Advanced RAM disk support
- Offers Finder integration and lots of hotkeys
- Most of the advanced features that make the difference are only available after you purchase the app
Supported Formats: FLAC, WAV, ALAC, APE, AIFF, TTA etc.
We’ve finally reached the last music player Mac software recommendation and it’s Pine Player. Focusing only on audio playback, this app delivers lots of functions and options to users looking for a top-quality experience. It can play 16 and 32-bit sources with ease while the OverSampling Filter makes sure all your audio files are played at the best possible sound quality. The app also enables users to listen to songs without gaps in between or even activate a crossfade for smooth transitions. Furthermore, with all those features, Pine Player is still free to use.
- Support for mass storage queues
- Automatically isolated damaged sound sources for smooth playback
- No ads despite being 100% free
- The user interface can feel a bit too complicated for inexperienced users
Supported Formats: FLAC, MP3, M4A, APE, AAC, WAV, OGG, AIFF etc.
How We Chose These 10 Audio Players
In case you want to learn more about our process when building this list of best music player for Mac recommendations, we’re sharing the criteria applied during the selection.
- Supported Formats – the first thing we checked at any music player for Mac listed was the range of formats it supports. It’s vital that you can play a wide range of formats without needing extra codecs or plugins.
- Compatibility – we made sure that all the players are compatible with the latest macOS versions and get constant updates from developers.
- UI/UX – an excellent audio player with lots of features and options is nothing without a good user interface and experience. That’s why we tested to make sure all users can easily navigate and operate these apps.
- Features – complete playback control, playlist support, gapless playback, or the possibility to tag and remove duplicates are some of the features we checked for the suggested music players for Mac.
Discover the Best Music Player for Mac (2022)
The article lists some great players we’ve come across. Take a look at the best music players for Mac, and choose what’s right for you!
|Supports local file streaming to TV||✅ (PRO)||❌||❌||✅||❌||❌||✅||❌||✅||❌|
|Playlist Creation and Editing||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅||✅|
Changing the default audio player on Mac can be done by following these simple steps:
- Right-click on an audio file to access the list of options.
- Select “Open with” in the list.
- Select the new audio player ( you can go to advanced selection if the player isn’t visible).
- Save changes.