Since writing our first book review, I’ve received a dozen “please share” emails from people looking to figure out how to get the tools needed to work with green screens in iMovie 09. It’s important to note that you need iMovie 09. Previous versions don’t have the tools needed to work with the green beast, so, you should probably upgrade if you haven’t. Other than that, there’s a couple of small steps, and you’ll be well on your way.
- Open the Preferences for iMovie
- Under the general tab, check the ‘Show Advanced Tools’ option
- Close the preferences
- A number of new buttons, and options should appear.
- Now, all you need to do is drop your background footage into your timeline.
- Then, select the green screen footage you want to overlay your background footage.
- On releasing your mouse button you should be met with a menu. Select Green Screen.
Photo Credit: markhassize11feet