Keeping up with the Blizzard-related news today, those who are signed up to receive email alerts regarding Investor Relations are by now well aware of the exciting news surrounding the much anticipated release of Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty! Today the email sent out had the headline reading: “StarCraft(R) II: Wings of Liberty(TM) in Stores Starting July 27, 2010.”
Exciting news for those ready to Zerg rush their opponents and really get a full hands-on experience. This will also be the first time that a lot of people will be able to experience the game, despite hundreds of online reports from the beta testers. It’s just not quite the same as playing the game.
The game-only retail version of WoL will be priced roughly around $59.99 (USD). As the time grows closer, I expect to see more deals coming out pairing it’s release, especially from GameStop and Blizzard itself. Right now we know that we’ll be seeing a collector’s edition from GameStop that is currently set at $99.99 (USD) that gives you the following treats:
- The Art of StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, a 176-page book featuring artwork from the game
- An exclusive 2GB USB flash drive replica of Jim Raynor’s dog tag, which comes preloaded with the original StarCraft and the StarCraft: Brood War(R) expansion set
- A behind-the-scenes DVD containing over an hour of developer interviews, cinematics with director’s commentary, and more
- The official StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty soundtrack CD, containing 14 epic tracks from the game along with exclusive bonus tracks
- StarCraft comic book issue #0, a prequel to the comic series
- A World of Warcraft(R) mini Thor in-game pet that can be applied to all World of Warcraft characters on a single Battle.net account
- Exclusive Battle.net downloadable content, including special portraits for your Battle.net profile, decals to customize your units in-game, and a visually unique version of the terran Thor unit
Here’s to the summer of Blizzard! I hope everone has some strategies for the game in mind already as it’s going to be one fun game and definitely one of the hottest tickets in the gaming world this year. Make sure you pre-order as soon as possible as you don’t want to be the one who doesn’t luck out on release day!
News from Blizzard.
Collector’s Edition from GameStop.com.