There are two independent reports, one from MacRumors and another from 9to5 Mac, that have indicated that Apple has both fixed the battery life issues in the iPhone 4S and patched the Smart Cover security flaw found to affect the iPad 2. We haven’t patched our devices with the beta software yet, so we’re taking their word for it.
According to the release notes:
- iOS 5.0.1 beta contains improvements and other bug fixes including:
- Fixes bugs affecting battery life
- Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad
- Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
- Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
- Contains security improvements
There’s no word on when the patch will be released into the wild, but if you’re holding off on purchasing an iPhone 4S because of the battery issues, you might not have to wait much longer. If you have a developer account, you can get the software through the usual channels.