With the quality of iPhone cameras improving, we can now reliably use them as the only video capture device in our pocket. The amount of detail and quality of video recording has improved to the point that they are starting to rival some of the entry-level DSLR cameras in the market.
With us capturing so many moments with our iPhones, when something happens to the footage that we captured, it can be frustrating. In this article, we will look at multiple ways to retrieve deleted videos on your iPhone and get them back onto your device.
Where Are Videos Stored on iPhone?
Videos that you take on your iPhone, are stored in the Photos app. This app comes installed natively on your device and allows you to manage, edit, and share your videos from right within the app itself.
Use the Photos app to view your photos and videos organized by years, months, days, and there is also an all photos view.
In addition to being stored on our iPhone, our videos are also stored in iCloud if enabled. This will become key later when we look at one of the methods for video recovery.
How to Choose The Right Video Recovery Method
To maximize your recovery chances, you need to choose the right video recovery method for the job, which is why we highly recommend you keep in mind the following three considerations.
🎞️ 1st Consideration: The Origin of the Video
Most of the time, we capture video directly on our iPhone itself. The other option is that the videos were transferred over from an old iPhone. If you have a separate camera, then you may import videos to your iPhone using a Mac or iPhone adapter as well.
The Photos app will store all of the videos that you have either taken with your iPhone, or ones that you have imported using a computer. This is nice as it puts all of the videos that we have on our device into one place.
If your iPhone is functioning and working, then you will want to use the methods mentioned below (like an iPhone recovery software) as one of them should be able to recover accidentally deleted videos on your iPhone.
📱 2nd Consideration: The Condition of Your iPhone
If your iPhone has suffered either water damage or physical damage, then you will want to contact a professional data recovery service for data recovery, as iPhone video recovery may not be possible unless a professional does it for you.
Keep in mind though, that if the data has been written over by something new they may not be able to recover it and some storage devices can be damaged beyond repair. Contacting the company first explaining your situation is the best option.
🔒 3rd Consideration: Backup Availability
If you have either a local or cloud backup of your iPhone, then you’re in luck because you should be able to recover the lost video with just a few clicks and without paying any money. Of course, what we just said applies only if you backup your data on a regular basis since an outdated backup is barely any better than no backup at all.
The good news is that there are multiple recovery methods that can help you restore your videos even without a suitable backup available, and we explore them in this article.
Method 1: Recover Deleted Videos from the Recently Deleted Folder
As previously mentioned, the Photos app on your iPhone is where all of the videos that you have captured are stored. If you’re wondering “how do I find deleted videos?”, they’re located within the Recently Deleted folder. Using this method for recovering the deleted video is the first that should be attempted as it is the easiest.
The benefit of the Recently Deleted folder, is that it is super easy to access and use, it takes almost no time at all to recover videos from the folder. Our iPhone has a safety net put into place for things such as this.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Albums and then scroll down until you see Recently Deleted, it should be right at the bottom of the list.
- From here, click on Select which will be in the upper right-hand corner of your screen, and tap on the recently deleted videos that you would like to recover. If you want to recover all of them, you can click on Recover All. This makes retrieving deleted videos from your iPhone super easy, as the recently deleted ones are all located in the Recently Deleted folder.
- Click on Recover, and then the deleted videos will be restored and put back into your All Photos view.
Method 2: Retrieve Your Video From an iCloud Backup
iCloud backup is turned on by default and after using the Recently Deleted Folder, it is the second-best way of retrieving deleted videos on iPhone.
- Create a backup of your iPhone before starting to restore video from iCloud. This will ensure that if anything goes wrong during the restore, we have a backup in place.
- Factory reset your iPhone. To initiate the reset, go to Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. Your iPhone will then reset and this might take a couple of moments to complete.
- You will be greeted by a screen that asks if you want to restore data, and you want to choose Restore from an iCloud backup. Your iPhone will need to stay on and connected to Wi-Fi for this entire process.
- Look for a backup that is around the same date that you last remember having the videos that you lost. Select that backup to retrieve videos from an iCloud backup and they will then start to restore to your device.
- Allow the restore to complete, and then check the Photos app to see if the lost videos have been restored.
Method 3: Recover Using an iTunes Backup
If you plug your iPhone into your computer and have the Music app or iTunes installed, then there is a chance that your iPhone could be backing up to that device.
You can restore your iPhone from a backup on your computer using the Music app which is more current, but if you’re using an older version of macOS or Windows then iTunes will be the app to look for. The steps are pretty much the same in both, so the steps below can be followed no matter which you’re using.
- Plug your iPhone into your computer.
- Select your iPhone from the drop-down menu on the left-hand side and then click on “Sync Settings…”.
- Once on the Summary page, select “Restore Backup…”. This can be found from within the General tab. You can also manage backups and back up your iPhone from within this window as well.
- After clicking the Restore Backup… option, your iPhone will restore back to the backup that you selected and your deleted videos will go back onto your phone. This will take some time depending on the size of the backup. Make sure your iPhone is plugged into your computer during this whole process as it can’t be interrupted!
Method 4: ✅ Recover Deleted Videos Using Data Recovery Software
If your lost videos can’t be retrieved using the above methods, then it’s time to use data recovery software to retrieve the deleted photos.
Disk Drill is an app that allows you to recover deleted videos from your iPhone without a backup. The videos are still there, but just not visible to us. With data recovery software, it makes retrieving deleted video from iPhone easy to do.
🎁 Apply a coupon “DD-FACTORY-50” during the checkout process, and you’ll get Disk Drill PRO Lifetime (Mac edition) with a 50% discount.
- Download and install Disk Drill for your computer.
- To get deleted videos back on your iPhone, plug it into your computer and choose it as the device to scan.
- Wait for the scanning process to complete.
- After the scan has completed, you will be greeted by all of the found files on your iPhone. Click on the Photos icon to view the deleted videos that Disk Drill was able to find.
- Once on the recovered videos screen, you can select what you would like to recover.
- Select the videos that you would like to recover and then click the blue Recover button in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
- Choose a path for Disk Drill to recover the deleted videos from iPhone and click OK.
- You will then be greeted by a confirmation message letting you know that the recovery was successful.
As seen above, there are multiple methods for recovering deleted videos on iPhone. To ensure that your videos are safe, it is best to make it a practice of backing up your device. iCloud is the best way to do this, as you don’t have to think about it and it will back up every night for you.
Losing videos on your iPhone is never fun. Being able to recover them and get them back onto our device will let us rest easy knowing that if we should lose them, we can most likely get them back.