In lead up to the Xbox One’s nearing November 22nd launch date, Microsoft has released a new Xbox One SmartGlass iOS app to enable functionality between your iPhone/iPad and the new console.
The SmartGlass app can be used to navigate your Xbox One’s menus as well as provide special functionality in certain games. You can use it to message your friends, or perhaps to even manage your character’s inventory in a certain game you’re playing.
Here’s the app’s official description:
Xbox One SmartGlass is the perfect companion app for your Xbox One, both in your living room and on the go. Connect and control your Xbox One. Stay connected with the games and gamers you like. And add a new dimension to your console entertainment with the mobile device you already own.
In the living room:
• Navigate your Xbox One console using your device’s keyboard and touch
• Control your media and set top box with the SmartGlass remote control
• Browse the web on your TV using your mobile device
• Enhance what you are watching or playing with SmartGlass companions
• Increase performance with faster connections and reliability
In the living room and on the go:
• Search, browse, and pin content to play on your Xbox One console
• Track achievements, get game help, message friends, and watch game clips
While the Xbox 360 did see some SmartGlass functionality, it should be a much more commonly used feature on the Xbox One. Microsoft already had a Xbox 360 SmartGlass app on the App Store, but it seems the company chose to release a whole new app instead of updating the old one.
Download the Xbox One SmartGlass app for free from iTunes.