The Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages officially announced today the required approval for Apple to establish a Canadian iBookstore. In order to receive the approval, Apple has agreed to the following.
- Promotion of Canadian-authored books—both French- and English-language titles—in iBookstore in Canada and other iBookstores internationally;
- Increased opportunities for Canadian publishers and authors, including new and independent writers;
- Increased access to titles from Aboriginal authors and publishers;
- Assistance to Canadian publishers in streamlining processes of e-book creation and enhancement; and
- Jobs for Canadians and improved services for Canadian consumers, including an iBookstore tailored to Canadian readers.
A Canadian-based iBookstore represents a huge opportunity for Canadian authors and publishers. There is no word on how quickly iOS users will be seeing the Apple iBookstore stocked with Canadian content.
Tip Courtesy of Ben Myers
Comments are closed.