What’s your neighbor’s name? Do you know of any garage sales going on near where you live? If not, and you’re feeling a bit out of the loop in your local community, perhaps this app is for you.
Nextdoor takes the basic concept of social networking and then limits people to communicating within just their local neighborhood. People can post things like local events their throwing, they can ask for a missing ingredient for the meal they’re cooking, or they could report a suspicious sighting in the neighborhood.
Here’s the app’s official description:
Nextdoor is the free, private social network for you, your neighbors and community. It’s the easiest way to connect and talk with your neighbors about the things that matter in your neighborhood. When neighbors start talking, good things happen.
• People across the country are using Nextdoor to:
• Quickly get the word out about a break-in
• Organize a neighborhood crime watch
• Recommend a trustworthy babysitter
• Find out who does the best paint job in town
• Ask for help finding a lost dog
• Find a new home for an outgrown bike
• Finally remember your neighbors’ names
Since the creation of the Internet, it’s probably safe to say that people have become less sociable with their neighbors then they once were. This app seems like a smart way to try and use the Internet to reverse this and to meet the people that live around you.
Those interested can either download the free iPhone app or simply use the Nextdoor website on their desktop.