The Mobile World Congress event in Barcelona is massive, bringing in pretty much all major and minor players in the mobile industry. That is, everyone except Apple, who chooses to skip out on the event each year.
Despite the company’s lack of presence, this year it has been granted the award for the “Best Mobile Tablet”, with the iPad Air taking home the prize. Here are the judge’s comments on Apple’s slim tablet:
The iPad Air packs class-leading performance in an attractive and svelte frame, while its ecosystem has an undisputed advantage in the number of format-optimized apps.
The judges selected the winner based off of the following criteria. They had to all reach a consensus before making a selection:
- Physical design innovation and form factor
- Device performance such as HTTP throughout, WEB Browser elapsed time, RX sensitivity, relative call set up and success rate
- Multi Band support
- Product usefulness in terms of functionality and features
- Simplicity of use – such as an intuitive user interface
- Wide range of applications and features supported
- Unique attributes
- Price point versus Value for money
- Market success
- User experience (battery life, talk time, call quality, personalisation)
While Apple won in the tablet department, the HTC One took home the coveted “Best Smartphone” award.
You can find a full list of winners for a wide range of categories here.