I just had this conversation yesterday about the value of .com in today’s landscape. It seems that Apple may just be spying on my from my iPhone. The news cycle has Apple picking up plenty of .camera and .photography urls for their products and apps.
It’s a weird time to buy TLDs. One week after picking up a bunch of .GURU addresses, Apple has purchased the following, according to MacRumors:
- aperture.camera and aperture.photography
- apple.camera and apple.photography
- facetime.camera and facetime.photography
- imovie.camera and imovie.photography
- iphoto.camera and iphoto.photography
- isight.camera and isight.photography
- photobooth.camera and photobooth.photography
- retina.camera and retina.photography
This is probably a case of fending off the squatters before they run out and purchase all of these good domain names and then charge a ridiculous amount of cash to get them back. If anything, Apple’s just going to forward these domains to existing pages on its website.